Our Local Privacy and Security Policy
Effective Date: 19 February 2019
This Our Local Privacy and Security Policy applies to activities related to uploading information onto Our Local and sharing information. Organisations using Our Local are obliged to comply with requirements set out in this policy and the Terms and Conditions for Organisations when they use the system.
This policy applies from the moment an Organisation uploads information in the form of a listing onto the Our Local website.
The policy also applies to all users uploading or sharing information on Our Local.
The Our Local Privacy and Security Policy operates within the:
Organisations using Our Local and its tools will also continue to comply with other relevant legislation and codes of practice including, but not limited to:
'Cookies' are small pieces of text data that a web server can store on, and later retrieve from, a user's computer. They do not personally identify you, but do identify your browser. Cookies can be either 'persistent' or 'session' based. Persistent cookies are stored on your computer, contain an expiration date, and may be used to track your browsing behaviour upon return to the issuing web site. Session cookies are short-lived, are used only during a browsing session, and expire when you shut down your browser.
Our Local website uses persistent cookies.
They record your preferences in relation to your use of the site and provide us with other information about your enquiry that allows us to recognise your browser if you return to this website in the future. This allows Our Local to present information that may be most relevant to you based on your previous visits. They also help Our Local to understand what parts of the site users find the most useful and improve the effectiveness of the website.
The cookies on this site do not read the information on your hard drive. They do not make your computer perform any actions or make your computer send information to any other computer via the internet. Our Local makes no attempt to associate cookies with users' names or identities. Our server cannot find out your name or email address, or anything about your computer, by using cookies
The following Principles guide day-to-day management of information in the Our Local system:
- Any individual whose personal information is to be included in a listing (‘the individual’) must provide informed consent in writing to their personal information being collected, disclosed or exchanged for the purpose of uploading a listing onto the Our Local website.
- The Organisation will only collect personal information that is relevant to the listing.
- The individual is being collected is informed about why personal information is collected and to whom it is to be disclosed
- The Organisation takes all steps to ensure that the individual’s information is accurate, current and complete
- The Organisation has security safeguards that protect the individual’s records from loss, unauthorised access, misuse, modification, disclosure and procedures that ensure appropriate disposal of the individual’s information.
- The individual is told how they can get access to their records containing personal information.
- The Organisation has a policy covering:
- the nature and purpose of the individual’s record keeping.
- how long the individual’s records are kept.
- who has access to the individual’s records.
- how the individual can get access to their own records.
- The individual is entitled to have access to their records.
- The individual is able to correct any information held by the agency that is incorrect, incomplete or misleading.
- The individual’s information is not used by the Organisation for any other purpose except with the individual’s consent unless necessary to prevent harm to life or health, or otherwise required or authorised by law of New South Wales.
- The individual has the option of not identifying themselves, or of denying consent for exchange of information.
- Information is collected directly from the individual by the Organisation unless the individual is a minor, under guardianship or has given consent for someone else to provide the information such as the parent.
- The NSW Government may use information collected on Our Local about users to inform research directed to create and improve NSW Government policies, laws and procedures, to evaluate and improve the Our Local platform, and to provide more personalised information on Our Local.
- NSW Government staff are able to contact users of Our Local.
How to deal with complaints about privacy breaches
Complaints in relation to a privacy breach can be made to Our Local, or to the Organisation for management through their local complaints handling processes.
Users may also lodge a complaint with the Office of the NSW Privacy Commissioner (1800 472 679 / email@example.com).
When uploading information to Our Local, the person sharing or uploading the information must ensure that:
- they are authorised to provide the material and/or information;
- the material and/or information is not defamatory or a malicious falsehood in relation to any product, service, person or corporation;
- the material and/or information is not the “passing off” of any product or service and does not constitute unfair competition;
- the material and/or information does not infringe any intellectual property right including, but not limited to, trademarks, service marks or business names (whether registered or unregistered), confidential information and copyright;
- the material does not infringe any moral rights;
- the material and/or information does not infringe any legislation, law or regulations of the Commonwealth of Australia and the State of New South Wales and any other parliament competent to legislate in relation to the website or any law in any country where the material and/or information is or will be available electronically to users of Our Local
- the material and/or information is not obscene, offensive, pornographic, violent, discriminatory, defamatory or likely to offend users of this site.
- information classification labels are applied by the information owner in accordance with the NSW Government information classification labelling and handling guidelines.
- the information owner has considered their internal policies and legislative requirements and asserts that the Owner is an appropriate repository for this information.
Removal of information
In relation to any material or information able to be viewed by other users, the Owner may remove any material or information, including but not limited to, links to other sites on the internet, at any time without giving any explanation or justification for removing the material and/or information.
Each participating Organisation will be responsible for the protection, storage, analysis and dissemination of the individual’s data or uploaded material.
Our Local makes no warranties that the materials available on or through this website are free of infection by computer viruses or other contamination.
Our Local recommends that Organisations and users of the site read and apply the Stay Smart Online principles published by the Australian Government.
Our Local accepts no responsibility for the uploading or sharing of confidential content on the Our Local site.
Any claims arising out of or relating to this Policy will be governed by the laws of New South Wales, other than its conflict of laws rules; all disputes related to this Policy will be brought solely in the federal or state courts located in Sydney, New South Wales; and you consent to personal jurisdiction in these courts.
Changes to this Policy
We may make changes to this Policy from time to time. If we make changes, we will post the amended Policy on this website and update the Effective Date above. If the changes, in our sole discretion, are material, we may also notify you by sending an email to the address associated with your Account (if you have chosen to provide an email address) or by otherwise providing notice through this website. By continuing to access or use this website on or after the Effective Date of the revised Policy, you agree to be bound by the revised Policy. If you do not agree to the revised Policy, you must stop accessing and using our Services before the changes become effective.
Listing - information about an “opportunity, activity, service or event”.
Organisation - a NSW Government office, an NGO that receives NSW Government funding or grants, or an Active Kids or Creative Kids provider.
Complaint - may be made by anyone who is dissatisfied about Our Local.
Owner - the owner of information contained on the Our Local website is the Department of Family and Community Services (FACS) on behalf of the State of NSW.
Personal information - information held by an Organisation about an individual that could identify that person.
Site - refers to the Our Local website
Website - refers to the Our Local website